Brooder Input

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xochi16, Feb 17, 2013.

1. xochi16

xochi16 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2013
    Olive Hill, Ky
    Hello all! We are currently building a new brooder. Thought I would check in and see if anyone could critique and make sure we haven't missed anything! :)[​IMG][/IMG]

We have since drilled holes in the back to Run the cord for the brooder light. We have hooks in the too to hang the water bottle. We were contemplating spraying the bottom with spray in bed liner before we fill it with low dust wood shavings, but we weren't sure if that was potentially harmful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    [​IMG]

Here is mine, built with doors very similar to what you are building. I built this last summer and I LOVE it. BUT, even though I have the really fine wire mesh on it, the chicks do kick out alot of shavings. That is the only down fall of my design. Especially because it is in my office

3. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Ok, now that is an awesome brooder! How about the dust? How long do you leave yours in there?

4. thasista

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I think your brooder looks great. Is it going to be on legs or does the top come off? It might be pretty hard to get down on your knees to clean it out.

5. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks! I hatch alot, in the spring and summer they are in there 3-4 weeks because it is super warm here in the desert. I have grow out pens outside, depending on the time of year, I keep heat in there too. Dust is always an issue if you have chicks in the house, but it's not too bad with this brooder.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

7. crittercrazyTN

crittercrazyTN Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    has anyone here tried brooding on the ground, Im building a 10 x 24 with a10x10 room for incubating. Someone say they gotta get out of living room lol. any advice or ideas would be appreciated

8. xochi16

xochi16 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2013
    Olive Hill, Ky
    It's actually going to be one a base! :) I thought it would be a pain also to have to try and get down and reach for the chicks and clean lol We sprayed the liner in yesterday, I sprayed the sawdust out and it worked like a charm. We are making these units stackable also, in case we need more room later ;) I was curious about air flow. We bought a nice battery powered fan from Home Depot that runs for 300+ hours on a set of batteries, we put it in our incubator. We were wondering if it would be a good addition to the brooder as well!

9. thasista

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I have to have this brooder. Do you have the plans for it written down? Do you mind sending me the dimensions of the whole thing, plus the door openings? It is simply gorgeous!

10. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Thank you. I don't have plans for it. I made it up as I went along.It is 4x4x2. I dont know the door size off hand.

Oh and I would recommend putting your brooder on casters. It makes it SO easy to move around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by