1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brooder is getting too small

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jackiedon, Jul 22, 2007.

1. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    My brooder is getting to small as my babies are growing. I had orginally ordered 14 from MPC. Then son in law had some fun blood Sumatrias so I took 3 of those. Then when I was at the chicken farmers house I bought 2 Cuckoo Marans. They will be 2 weeks old this week. My Sumatrias are roosting on the sticks I have in the brooder and my silkies are being pooped on.

Then I have a brooder beside that one with 2 week old guineas.

Last week I changed the bulb on my baby chicks from 100 w to 75 w and I have a 60 w I'm going to change this week.

When will they not need a light?

I have eggs hatching probably next weekend. Of course some of those will be going to my neighbors. I hope I have a good hatch from my silkies.

jackie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I usually take the light away on my birds at about 6 weeks when they are fully feathered. For the last two weeks, I use a fluorecent light and start shutting it off at night. I usualy kick them to an outside brooder at 2 weeks or so and into their hutch run at 6 weeks where they don't need heat and light though. They basically don't need light anymore once they don't need that extra heat. They will make a rucus though the first nights they are without lights.

3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks Silkie,

I did move my silkies into another brooder because the other chicks just seem to pick on them.

jackie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by