brooder kits.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickachickawhat, Jan 19, 2009.

1. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    has anyone ever seen a company that makes brooder kits. like everything you need to raise chicks from like the brooder to the food and everything else? also any suggestions on what kind of chicks to get and from where ? i already have 6 RIR but i want some color to add ot my flock

2. leghorn dude

leghorn dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Conroe tx
    ive seen these kits a few places seem pretty basic what im doing this year is just using an old playpen put a heat lamp feeder waterer and shavings and i believe it will turn out a little cheaper as far as chicks what kind of color are you wanting to add

3. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Eggcartons.com sells the kits, so does McMurray. I dont think they include the food tho. You should find a local supply for that anyways.

But to be honest, any feed and grain store worth anything will have everything you need, and probably cheaper after you factor in the shipping! We used a big wire cage, and set the lights up on its ceiling shining down on the chicks, this worked great! and we could cover one or three or all sides to stop drafts.

Get a McMurray catalog, they have all the info that you need to raise the chicks, and the catalog is free and a wonderful resource for breed info!

Good Luck!

4. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    Quote:i do have the McMurray catalog and it is expensive for it plus shipping. im going to check local feed store for kits also.

5. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    Quote:im looking for any color a variety instead of just the RIR's brown

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by