1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by doghamstyluv95, May 17, 2007.

1. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    My mom and I are preparing everything but we have got one problem, the lamp. we need ideas of how to put a lamp over the brooder, we are using the kit from mcmurrays so the lamp didnt come with a clamp or anything. Pics and ideas would be really helpful!

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I hung mine from two kitchen chairs once. I also had the clip on heat lamp and tied it to the ceiling fan chain to hang over top of my box. I sit my box on top of the guest bed so its easier to reach.

3. wallace

wallace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    We had some stuff laying around from a failed attempt at growing tomatoes.

We took a stake for tomato plants, wrapped the cord of the lamp around the stake and used a twist tie around the cord to control how high or low the lamp hung. Then we suspended the stake above the brooder on these metal wire cages that normally go around tomato plants. The wire cages also allowed us to move the stake up or down, depending on how low we wanted the light to hang.

4. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Check out the "BROODER thread...." that just went up, you can at least see a few pics!!

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Where are you going to have your brooder set up? How many chicks are you going to be raising?

When we had chicks in the basement or our coop, we had the heat lamp hanging from a rafter, using a chain. You want to make sure the lamp is very secure, so that it doesn't fall down and start a fire.

6. doghamstyluv95

Apr 28, 2007
    we are going to have our brooder set up in a bedroom(no longer used) the brooder will be over wood floors, we are raising 11 chicks

7. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    if you have a brooder thet the opening is on the top (opposed to the side) then just put some chicken wire on top and lay the lamp ontop, thats what the people i've seen do

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have my chicks in a spare bedroom with the brooder (cardboard boxes) in the closet (no drafts). The lamp in hanging from a rope and the rope is hanging from a belt hanger. The first week the lamp was hanging low, then as time went on I put notches in the rope and raised the lamp. Now the lamp is as far up as it will go so I just slide the hanger farther way from the brooder. Works for me

It's hard to explain here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. doghamstyluv95

Apr 28, 2007
    ^thats a good idea, except for the fact that our brooder is no where near any closets or hangers

if i put chicken wire on the top, are you sure it wont burn?

10. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My lamp keeps the brooder at about 85-90 and my chicken wire, cardboard brooder walls, closet and everything else doesn't get hot. My chicks can fly so I have to keep the wire on top. I go in and lift up the wire to feed them and play with them and the wire is not even warm. The wire is the safest once they are about a week and a half old because that's when they start to jump and fly.

Last edited: May 17, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by