brooder lamps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andy, Jun 1, 2007.

1. andy

andy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    hi my eggs should be hatched in about 7 days ..i have just bought a 250w infra red light and im about to make a ply wood box for them..how long do i keep the light on them..is it 24hrs ???for how many days,weeks ..because this light doesnt look cheap to run,, i could heat my house up with it..lol

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, you leave it on 24 hours a day. It should be 95 degrees Fahrenheit right under the lamp. Each week, you raise the lamp, to reduce the temperature by 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Unless it is very cold where you are--like if you have your brooder box in the house, or in a protected garage, etc, a 40 or 60 watt bulb should do it. Keep it fairly low-15 inches or so from the floor of the brooder, and put a thermometer under it when you forst set up, to make sure the temp is at least 90/95 degrees there. But, have it at one end of the box, so if it gets too hot, they can spread out to where it is cooler. Nights will probably be colder than daytime, so be sure to check it at night, when setting it up. I kept a 40, a 60, and a 100 watt regular light bulb on hand, and raised chicks all thru the winter in my garage, which wasn't heated. Temps got down to 10 or 20 F. (-8 to -12 C) at ights, and I had the 100 watt bulb in and they could move directly under it if they got chilly. Warmer days, I switched to the 60 or 40 watt. Much more economical than a 250 W. which I think is overkill, unless you are in a very cold place. I keep the smaller bulbs lower, instead of raising the 250 watt way up so it won't be too hot. Good luck.

4. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

Get yourself a dimmer switch that you can run from a 13amp socket. (e-bay) It will save you a lot of frustration trying to adjust the chain on the lamp to get the temperature right (I've just spent 10 mins [​IMG] over mine I found my day olds just about frying). My 'teenagers' have got one in the garage, but it's too late to fetch it now!

I'm going to sit under my lamp next winter [​IMG] !

I like your coop! Your brown hens look just like mine - I've just hatched 3 exchequer leghorns and have 3 white ones (hopefully) due tomorrow!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  5. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I have never raised or lowered my light--but I do have the brooder box large enough that the light is over one end, and even day-old chicks can adjust to the heat by themselves, moving closer to the heat or away from it, if they have room in the box to move away. It just needs to be warm enough right under the light, and lessening warmth as they move away from it if they are too warm.

6. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    It is 85 degrees at my house right now and I live in Michigan [​IMG] I really wouldn't use that high wattage of a bulb unless necessary. If they are outside at night and its really cold MAYBE......

Make sure you have ANY thermometer that can tell you how hot it is UNDER the lamp, not up high. It can be 15-20 degrees different up higher. They do make flood lights in all wattage levels. If you're stuck until you can find one with a lower watt -just adjust them temp by raising the light high enough so its only 95 degress UNDER the light right where the chicks will be.
    Hope this helps...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  7. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

Been thinking about this overnight [​IMG]

If you're going to make a contained box for them to stay in after they hatch you are probably going to be OK with just a light bulb. Use the infra red for when they need more space.

My big lamp I use for heating over an area, initially swinging over a tin bath and now over the trailer I use(d) for the grass from the mower. The older chicks have out grown that at 7 weeks and now have access to the garage as well, but they still like a huddle under the lamp!

8. andy

andy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    thanks for all the info..yeah i think 250w is a bit big ,, for 3 chicks ,,i"ll use it the next time i have a garden party,to warm every one up..haha.. i think im gonna just make a box ,and put a light bulb in,, on a dimmer switch, theyll be indoors ,so they will be fine.{.touch wood} plus its summer over here ,,,wa..hey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by