Brooder Light FAIL ***happy update***

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Nekhebet, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Reposting this from Breeds. Hoping there are a few other people out there who have had this happen and understand or can make me feel a little better [​IMG]

It's been a rough weekend. I have a final to study for, and missed the Nationals, my incubator had a humidity problem, so only two of four viable silkie chicks made it..the bluegrass egg that I had to help hatch, one of only TWO that made it died this morning, and when I went upstairs to the brooder and grow out pen....it turns out the brooder light went out lastnight ([​IMG]((((WALMART!!!!!), all my two day old quail were on their sides with their necks stretched back, gasping for air, the ONLY surviving bluegrass chick had its wings down and kind of falling over

ugh
    I want to cry so bad right now, currently thats one fairly expensive chick, and on top of all the other incubation issues I'm out of my head right now Anyway, I turned the space heater on high in there, grabbed a second brooder light and held everyone up to the heater The worst off, including the serama is temporarily in the kitchen incubator. I gave it some gator aid, and it appears to be perking up, it's eyes are open, but it's still a little limp

I swear, if I had that receipt for that NEW!! heat bulb on me, I'd be in Walmart this morning making all sorts of complaints As it is, this is clearly my reminder to buy the more expensive lights *not* from Walmart, because at least they tend to make it a few months to a year before conking out on my snake, who is sadly well fed this morning.
    [​IMG]

As for the silkies, I already bought more eggs before I figured out the problem, so hopefully I'll get a better hatch this time. I'm so sick with this right now though I"m about ready to give up incubatiing in general.
    I'm also moving the survivors into a COVERED aquarium in my living room. They'll have to deal with cats staring at them all day, but at least it's warm enough that it's guaranteed I won't wake up to another cold related chick disaster. And it will be a lot easier to see if the brooder light goes out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    We've returned things to walmart with out a receipt before, maybe you can, too?

3. Nekhebet

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Maybe so, I'd definitely be glad for my money back, since the light is less than a month old and was only used for a few days previous to this.

4. Nekhebet

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Update:

Chicks are ok!!! At least so far.. I gave them all some gatorade and stuck the ones which were worst off in the incubator for a few, right before I cleaned it out. Everyone is standing , running around a little and pecking at their food. I guess I found them JUST IN TIME
    yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by