Brooder light off!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormy, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    I just got back from town (one hour round trip drive) from getting groceries, and found the brooder light off. Temp in Brooder is 90 with light off. Plugged in a regular light bulb and they all got LOUD and panicky. Shut off light bulb. Took brooder outside where temp is about 88-90. Inside brooder the temp is reading 90 sitting outside.

It is awfully humid outside though.

(Note to self: next time buy TWO brooder lights, dork)

So here is my question.

Do I drive back into town TODAYand get two brooder lights? Can the one week old chicks survive without the light til tomorrow? Must they have a light shining down on them for the next 24 hours, or could I just maintain the brooder temp at 90 (whether that is by putting brooder outside or bringing it back into the kitchen and just shutting off the A/C). Or do I need to turn right around and drive back into town TODAY?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    90°F is fine for week old chicks. Take a deep breath, relax and watch the little darlings for a bit. If they are acting normally, they are fine! welcome to chicken mamahood [​IMG]

3. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    Well after typing the above question I went back outside and checked the brooder box temp. It was 110! (which would figure since it is 90 degrees outside).

So back inside we are. I have a red light on them but it is about 25 watts, if that. I put a towel over half the brooder and turned off the AC and am watching the temp....I just don't want it going below 90.

I guess if it does, I'll need to make that long drive to town today instead of tomorrow....sometimes there are downfalls to living in the sticks!

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Stormy, I thought I read that the temp was 90°F in the brooder without the light.

If that is the case, you don't need to add any additional light/heat. Just keep an eye on the thermometer in the brooder and the behavior of your chicks. If they are all spread out and feeding and drinking, they are okay.

If the thermometer in the brooder drops below 80°F, you could put the light on for them. You may find you don't need the extra heat during the day.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by