brooder light question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Suess hens, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    With our last set we used a light light...but we were wondering about at night if we used a ceramic heater (the kind for reptile tanks...no light just heat) would this be okay, or is there something to the light that the babies need?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmmm... Good question! I've only used the heat lamp before, so I'm not sure here. Maybe someone else can answer your question. [​IMG]

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Like goes on the bottom? I wonder if it wouldn't make their feet too warm?

4. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    no it comes from the top, it goes into a hood just like I would naturally use for them any way (it is what I have). I was just wondering because the location of the brooder is right out my bedroom window on our sun porch, at night it would be nice to provide them the heat without needing to have lights coming in my window.

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Considering they don't get light at night when they are under their mothers, and also the fact that you can buy brooder heaters that don't have a light, I think you should do fine as long as the heater keeps it warm enough. Just make sure the chicks can't knock it over or get burned on it...

6. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Quote:We used it with our reptiles years ago, it kept their tank quite warm, and we can put the grated cover back on the hood so they can't get to the heater itself.
    Thanks every one!!!

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I know a considerable number of BYC-ers use them, at least for adult birds... perhaps trying to think of different terms to search on might turn up some of those threads?

I can only tell you that I've read that if you're brooding chicks under a heat source that does not give off light, you're supposed to leave a light on there *as well* for the first few days to make sure they know where the heat source is; and I have some vague idea that I've read things about leaving on a nightlight for a while thereafter so that they don't get scared. Evidently if chicks get scared by being in the dark they can pile up and some will suffocate. This is all secondhand info, though - I use a heatlamp [​IMG]

Pat

8. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    We do have one of those night lights that give off heat...we used it on our reptiles at night, but it seems kind of lame...but maybe I can do them together for the first few days, keep them up a bit higher so I don't over heat the little ones.

9. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    My chicks start to cry as soon as the light goes out..... I don't know if that would be a problem for you.

10. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Quote:My polish and Cochin use to do that, and since the brooder is about 15 feet from my window....yes, I have mama chicken ears, wakes me up. Maybe I will just live with the light...or see if the dimmed "night" light works with the ceramic heater.
    Also, part of the day, since this is a sun room they are in, gets natural sun, should I utilize that aspect? The last ones little ones were in a low sided brooder and would jump out and lie in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by