Brooder Light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigredfeather, Feb 15, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I was wondering what type light everyone uses in their brooders. White or red?
    [​IMG][/img]

The fuzzy butts.

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I use white. Red is usually to stop them from pecking each other, and since mine don't do that I haven't needed one. Anyone know if there are any other benefits to a red light?

3. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    i think its easier on their eyes.. dont really know... but if i had to be under a light all the time id prefer the red... but i would sure hate to be under that light all the time..

4. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

It is said that red has a calming effect on the birds. Also, it discourages pecking before it can get started. It does not disrupt their sleep patterns as white light can and does.

We always use red from day 1, and even keep a 15 watt red night light on after dark.

Ma

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I use both. I will turn the white light off in a week or so. I like to get them used to the dark soon. The red stays on 24-7. The white light is on with the day length.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I always use red.

7. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Our local Home Depot is going out of business, so I just bought two brooder light fixtures, and red bulbs...
    they were 15% off on the light bulbs so came to only $8 each, and fixture was 20% off I think, don't remember that price off my head.
    I think that was good...
    I figured with a two dozen egg potential hatch I'd better be ready with more than one heat source.....
    Now, to fine a good 'box'...
    how big should it be?
    could be a hatch of 24 chickens... as I have 18 in there now, and some are likely dead, but a dozen more comeing as replacements, hopefully in good shape....
    thanks!

8. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    I have a 250w red light and a 150w white light. We're going to start them with the red light and then switch to the white light when they get bigger.

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I use white with a metal shop light (about $6 at Wal-mart).

10. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I used a white light with my chicks last year, and everything went well (I think). I have read that red lights are slightly warmer (if that's a priority), prevent pecking, and chill the little fuzzbutts out overall (behavioral wise, I mean).

I LOVE THE PICTURES!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by