Brooder made using incubator heating element?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by what did I do, Jan 19, 2013.

1. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Has anyone made a brooder using the heating element that is used in incubators? I would use the wafer thermostat too. I need a brooder that does not use a light.

We are going to hatch eggs at a nursing home as a 4-H project and need a temporary brooder that is not a fire hazard. The ecoglow would be wonderful but it is out of our price range.

I would attach the heating element to a cookie sheet (not touching.) or something similar.

Would it work for a week?

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    you could use a heating pad

3. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    Could you make a small version of a hover brooder but use the heating element instead of bulbs? It is basically an open bottomed box on legs, so it is raised off the floor, with the heat inside. The chicks run under the opening to get warm.

Penny

4. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana

This is what I'm thinking of. I guess I need to know if it will put off enough heat without getting to hot.

I have this big old brooder that I love. It has a thermostats and heating elements and works great.
    [​IMG]

The one I will make needs to go into this plastic tub
    [​IMG]

This isn't the best photo but I've seen others use this blue tub for a brooder.

I'm debating about using plexiglass so we can see the chicks. To keep the heat under it I would fashion so kind of curtain that the chicks would run under.

Any thoughts?

5. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    Your brooder is exactly what I was thinking of, but scaled down to size. I have seen some made out of wood so I don't see why you couldn't use plexiglass. Make legs on it that are adjustable so you can move it up or down as needed . Just try it out and see what the temp does and remember with chicks under it it will be a slightly higher temp.

I use the clear plastic tubs to brood in from the dollar store. Easier to watch the chicks and the chicks to see you.

Penny

6. ebarkley20

ebarkley20 New Egg

Mar 5, 2014
    Hey!! That is the very exact one that I have!! But I need replacement parts!! Do you know where I could get them?

7. carbide

carbide Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Wv
    What did I do Wher can u get a brooder like that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by