BROODER/NEWBIE QUESTION

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rockmissjess, Mar 3, 2014.

1. rockmissjess

rockmissjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    [​IMG]So my chicks will be shipped in 7 days... And i have some questions about having the brooder...(IM A NEWBIE TO CHICKENS)

[​IMG]
    So Im using this Tough box 27 gallon storage tote i got from costco to hold the 5 chicks i ordered. The dimensions are about 31″ L x 20″ D x 15″H. I have the pine bedding, the lamp, the chick feeder and waterer, (gonna make a chick roost using lincon logs) starter food, the little enzyme packets, grogel....I also have a baby gate im going to put over the top of it. (for those jumping chicks)

MY QUESTION IS:
    How long will/can the five chicks stay in there for before needing bigger quarters?

I just ordered them a chicken coop which will be here by friday
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But i need to seal it and reenforce it and make sure its predator proof before they can be put in it... so i suppose ill be on a time crunch... depending on how long they can stay in the brooder for.. any help and advice as im a first timer would be greatly appreciated. TY!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing that you'll do well to get 3 weeks out of it. Do you have small children or pets that would bother the chicks? Are you brooding them in the house. If the answers are no and yes, you could get a large box, or several large boxes to give them more room. Good luck, enjoy.

3. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    YES, my kids are 4, 6 & almost 8....
    NO, no pets.
    YES, they will be in the house on my fireplace... (ITS HUGE)
    PROBLEM: I dont have alot of room in my house.. its kinda small inside... but i have a X-large backyard...and i have a garage but theres no room to put the chicks in there and i wouldnt want them to be...(scorpions, trantulas...)and another problem i keep thinking about is coytotes... egh... im so worried..

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Just do the best you can with what you have. It's especially important that the chicks not get overheated. They'll need room to get away from the heat. The rule of thumb is to start the heat at 90 - 95 degrees, and drop 5 degrees/week (under the heat lamp) A lot of folks report that chicks do not need as much heat as the "rule of thumb" and actually prefer and do better with less heat. You'll need to use a thermometer (if this is your first chick adventure) to start, then, you'll learn how to read their behavior for further adjustments. As they get a bit older, you can also turn the lamp off for a bit now and then to help wean them. Overheated chicks are stressed chicks, and they can also become aggressive when overheated.

5. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    I bought a thermometer.. im ready for that.. i also read the day before your supposed to get your chicks to setup the brooder and turn on the light and adjust it also to put the water in there to make sure its room temperature... ect... (you wouldnt believe how much ive been reading the last month) to make sure im prepared.. its just i didnt know how long i could keep them in there for... when i can put them outside ect...

6. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    what kind of chicks do you have? to give you an idea I have 2-4 week old chicks in a tub that size and it is crowded the hen is about as big around as a softball (the one in the picture as a 1 week old)the roo is a little smaller...but with a feeder ,waterer, small bowl with dirt and grit, and a 2x2 i have just laying on the bottom the roost on it is crowded for them... I have a growout cage outside but my temp have been 30 to 40 degrees below normal.. luckily i have anhuge unfinshed basement with a room for just my chicks I have 60 total 20 are meat type 11 in one tub,7 in another, 25 are bantams they live in 40 gallon tub, and 14 SLW also in a 40 gallon tub...The fireplace could be ok but if has been used and time recently your chicks may get very sooty and does it have a damper it could be low enough for you little ones to get stuck if the fly up..i would block off the chimney portion with carboard or whatever so they don't get a draft...by the way to help with smells you could always get a bag of sweet PDZ at your local farm store sprinkle some in with your shaving and it helps a lot... I agree with brooder temps for tubs you really don't need a 250 watt bulb ..the 125's do the trick, i also dont trust the hooks,clamps etc that are on your light I hang mine with wire and i secure the cord ..I also use and instant read thermometer a couple times a day, .fun for all chicks love chasing that little red dot. I will just downgrade my bulbs to 100 watt house then 60 then 40 so i won't have to raise my lights and i can save the expensive heatbulbs.

7. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Chicks need to be fully feathered before they venture outside. About 8 weeks old. I didn,t notice where you are located but if you are really far south you may be able to get them out sooner, up north, maybe longer.

If chicks are too crowded or bored they can bully eachother so more/spaceis better.

Go to your local appliance store and ask for a washingmachine or fridge box. If you have it inside I would put a plastic shower curtain between box and floor to protect your floor from moisture.

Have fun.

8. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    I will be getting next week:
    2 buff orpingtons
    1 silved laced wyandotte
    1 gold laced wyandotte
    1 black australorp

yes i planned on closing off the fireplace so no drafts come through...
    on each side of my fireplace there are two floor to ceilling windows on both sides so there will be alot of natural light. also its a propane fireplace.. we have never used it. very clean.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(these pics were taken the day we moved in... hence min furnature)
    so in about a month i should get a much larger tote for them to be in.. i can do that.

9. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    Im not too far south (i cant stand the heat) and im not too far north (i dont like the cold)
    im right in between temps right now are ranging from 60's - high 70's

10. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

Another option is getting a large produce box from your nearest grocery store. I got mine at Wal-Mart. I have 21 chicks in it and it is working great! With your 5 chicks, it would last you a good while. I have a thin curtain draped across the top to discourage any escape artists. So far no one has tried to get out.

You will love the babies you are getting. I have some of the same except for the GLW's. My Orps are the sweetest of the group. I put my hand in there and here they come running.

[​IMG]

There are 15 chicks in this pic. They are all under my heating plate. This was taken the day I got them.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by