Brooder of doom!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Jun 15, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    not completely done with it yet but its close enough to work [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Oh my gosh! That's a HUGE brooder... what're you putting in there? Emu's? LOL!

3. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    close to 30 ducklings and goslings

4. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:Thats funny only because we just made a quick brooder for our garage (since we don't want to have them inside anymore...done that). It is approx. 4'x4'. We put some 1/2" welded wire in a corner of the brooder where we put the water. That way when they are sloppy it drains away.

5. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    its bottom is a 4'x8' and the lil section to the right will be for the water. I wanted to put mesh in it and some sort of container underneath but i didnt find anything i liked in time so i will put towels down and then i have these rubbery floor squares that connect together so the water can go down to the towels and they arent stepping in it

6. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    can i ask what did you paint it with? is it a special type of paint? i have a brooder id love to paint but dont know whats safe to use (and hopefully waterproof?)

7. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:I used oil based porch paint. I read a thread somewhere on here where someone painted their coop floor with it and recommended it. it sucks to work with but I am very pleased with the results

8. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    super! thanks [​IMG]

9. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    A monster brooder for sure, but it will be tight with that many birds down the road. Smart thinking of going that large. They only need it for 3 weeks and then you are in the clear. I would consider putting in an divider so you can give them more space as they grow. Cuts back on cleaning too.

10. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice big brooder. They will out grow it in a week and be trampling over each other. I have a huge kiddies pool for mine and I had 14 ducklins and 4 goslings and they out grew it in 2 weeks so got evicted to outside permanently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by