brooder or not to brooder? this is the question. ..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rugerr1, Feb 23, 2015.

1. rugerr1

rugerr1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    ALA
    Ok I bought some chicks (10)from tractor supply last Thursday. But I also have a broody hen sitting on 3 eggs right now and they" should" hatch out sometime this week. My question is should I take the chicks out of the brooder and stick them under mom at night when said chicks hatch? Or should I just leave them in the brooder? Any foreseeable problems doing it? Thanks.

2. barkinghills

barkinghills Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2011
    The 10 will be getting kind of big for that by the time the other 3 hatch. I am under the impression that grafted chicks should be as young as possible, especially since she will have the 3 new hatchlings. The 3 new chicks will be much smaller when they hatch and they might get overpowered and pushed out by the other 10. I would recommend just leaving the 10 in their brooder, and let your broody hen finish her job with her 3 eggs.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. rugerr1

rugerr1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    ALA
    Thank you. That's kinda what I thought, but this is my first time dealing with a broody hen.

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    It's very unlikely that this will work, as chicks usually need to be 1 or 2 days old to foster to a broody hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by