Brooder Pics?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momofthehouse, Feb 15, 2014.

1. momofthehouse

momofthehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    I am looking for a good brooder to put together for the chicks I will be getting in a few weeks. I am wanting it to be pretty good size because my husband has to still build our coop.

My thoughts on a brooder:

I am thinking a galvenized horse trough?

So newspaper at the bottom and one section of a few pine shavings. Water (does anyone do sugar water when feeding with the medicated chick feed?), the medicated chick feed and then a top/lid on it made out of just wire and wood and a hook latch. They will be in the garage. Cat is the only other thing in there so will need to just make sure the cat can't get in. She is old anyways. Will this work? How long will they be ok in there? If a horse trough wont work what else will? Also what is the temp I need to keep them at and what is the range and age to slowly get them use to the outside? This might be posted somewhere on this board already? (Breeds I will have White leghorn, Light Brahmas, RIR and Buff orphington. I will have two roosters to total 15 chicks. ) What kind of light do you typically use and do you use a special feeder and waterer for chicks?

PS I live in the Pacific Northwest. So weather isn't really too cold.

I would love to see pics of your brooder!

2. momofthehouse

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. momofthehouse

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
  4. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I use plastic tote brooders in the house up to one week so I can keep a good eye on the new babies. They are heated with a 60 watt bulb unit attached to the top of the lid w/a hole & clip to hold the reflector centered on top at far end away from the food/water. They then go into a big box brooder out in the garage or if they are chicks I'm selling I separate everyone's orders into their own plastic brooder tote set on a shelving unit. I refill the food/water from the outside of the totes. For the birds I'm raising up, they graduate into larger brooder areas as needed and I have larger/multi-port feed/water units in those.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. momofthehouse

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    I like how you feed them. Why is there three things what is the third? I want just one brooder cause my budget is small

6. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I believe the left one is a nipple waterer to get them used to using it and the middle one has a little cup of water in case they don't understand how to use he nipple.
    There are probably a lot of things you have around your house to brood them in. Take a look at the sticky section of the "raising baby chicks" forum for tips on raising chicks as well as an AWESOME thread with lots of brooder ideas. I found out I could make probably ten brooders with the stuff just laying around the house.

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

8. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    The middle one is a drinker cup which I need because I use the same totes for bantam chicks and quail. Quail babies are super tiny and do better with the cup until they are 10 days old. I then replace the cup drinker with another nipple drinker or just take the cup drinker out so they are fully used to the nipple drinker system before they go into the bigger grow-out pens. This is a video of 10 day old quail and some chicks that are on the nipple drinkers only. (example of an inside mount bracket for the bottles)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by