Brooder Plans

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I found an old plastic dog house, and i was like 'hey this'll work for a brooder!' so i called by brother over and we lugged it out to the driveway, where i started cleaning it. Let's just say it was pertty darn stinky! SOOOO I rinsed it with water, then i scrubbed it with baking soda and vinegar. Rinse. Then I scrubbed it with dawn dish saop. rinse. then i scrubbed it with hydrogen peroxcide. then i rinsed it with ten gallons of water (well, almost ten. I haad to splash my brother...[​IMG]). Do you think it's clean enough for my chicks? If it is, is it BIG enough for my chicks? I it is about 3'x2', and it's 15 inches deep. If y'all want, i can post pics. Thanks

Edit: there will be ten chicks.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd scrub it with bleach.

That size would be okay in the beginning, but they would certainly outgrow it before they are fully feathered.

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Hmmmmm.......if i split up the chicks into to two brooders, i'd need two heat lamps right? and if i split them up, how would they get along when they moved into the coop?

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If the top is flat, take it apart and put it end to end and tape where they meet with duct tape. You will need some screening to cover the top, but it will give you twice the area and still let them be together.

5. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    The top is round..BUT (this is an important but) If i took a big cardboard box, and put it together, would that work??

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep!

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (breath) ooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!
    We are getting them april 3rd, so i am freaking out..... (even though it is STILL two months away.... *pout*)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by