Brooder Plate Issues

EmmZ95

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2019
Northeast Ohio
Hey! So my name is Emily and I am BRAND new to chickens, but I'm super excited. I read a bunch of reviews on here about how brooder played are better than a heat lamp so I went ahead and bought one. I ended up going with the Brinsea EcoGlow Safety 600. When it arrived I plugged it in to test it out. I came back to it about an hour later and it isn't very hot. It is definitely working because when I touch the plate with my hand it is hot to the touch but not as hot as i would have thought it would be. The temperature is not adjustable you just raise or lower the plate depending on the chicks actions. Does anyone else have this plate or a similar one? Is it working correctly? Thank you!

I have the comfort chicks brooder which is very similar in design to yours. Your right they don't feel very warm when you slip a hand underneath, I'd expected there to be more warmth. That said my chicks (and the odd duck) have always been warm under there. I will sometimes raise one side and have the other set at the lowest so they can pick how warm they want to be whilst also being under shelter for the sense of safety.

When I've pulled a chick out from under it they are always very warm. If ever I've set it too high they make a lot of noise and as soon as I lower it they stop.

Hey! So my name is Emily and I am BRAND new to chickens, but I'm super excited. I read a bunch of reviews on here about how brooder played are better than a heat lamp so I went ahead and bought one. I ended up going with the Brinsea EcoGlow Safety 600. When it arrived I plugged it in to test it out. I came back to it about an hour later and it isn't very hot. It is definitely working because when I touch the plate with my hand it is hot to the touch but not as hot as i would have thought it would be. The temperature is not adjustable you just raise or lower the plate depending on the chicks actions. Does anyone else have this plate or a similar one? Is it working correctly? Thank you!
Bear in mind that the heating plate is supposed to mimic a broody hen. If you put a hand on her, she wouldn't feel 'hot' as much as 'nice and warm'.

Back
Top Bottom