Brooder question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Darin115, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I built a brooder a few days ago. It is 4' long and 2' wide and 2' tall. I have a sliding top on it that is made of thin sheet metal that have made to slide open and shut. I have a switch operated light mounted to the side of the box for heat. I have the top fixed so I can't shut it completely up. I have to leave a 2" crack for air.

My question is, do I need to drill any air holes in the side of the box or should the 2" opening at the top provide the chicks with enough air?? If I need to drill holes, how many should I drill and how big?

Thanks!
    Darin

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I knda depends on where you are keeping it and the ambient air temperature...also depends on how many birds you are putting in it and wattage of bulb you are putting in it....having said all that...I use a horse water tank that is roughly the same demensions and I have couple dozen vent holes in the top anout 3/4 in Diameter. I use a heat lamp bulb of like 250 watts? and have 80 coturnix in it at the moment...they will be moving soon...those little beggers grow fast! Hope that helps...I would guess with fewer birds and smaller bulbs that you would need fewer holes

3. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I started out with a 200 watt bulb. I am down to a 150 watt. With the 150 watt the temp holds steady at 95 if I leave the lid cracked. I can use the 200 watt if I leave the lid open a little more. I just don't want to smother my chicks.

Darin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by