1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickadee28, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Chickadee28

Chickadee28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    My baby chicks should be here the first week of Feb. I bought this brooder http://www.strombergschickens.com/images/brooders/SBR_L.jpg from Strombergs. The way it is set up the light bulb is exposed. Do I have to worry about the chicks getting burned? Should I construct a little cage around the bulb? This brooder is much smaller than I thought it would be, I am unsure if I will even be able to use it much more than a week and I will have to come up with something bigger. It is actually just a converted covered cat litter box from what I can tell.

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:That's exactly what it is! I wouldn't worry too much about the light, I use a bulb with no cover and never had a chick burn itself.

3. Chickadee28

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    Thanks, if I had known it was just a litter box I would have saved my $38 and made it myself [​IMG] I was looking at the huge storage tubs yesterday, I think one of those is going to work great once they out grow the small brooder.

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    That's what I'm making mine out of. I can't afford those ridiculous prices that are in the catalogs.

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    A lot of those places just take advantage of the new comers that don't know! I use storage tubs from Wal*Mart for the first couple weeks, then move to large cardboard boxes that I get from my work. Cheap, easy, and no shipping charges [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use cardboard boxes here myself in the house til it's warm enough to put the chicks out in the garage in a big wooden box and heat lamp...works great for me...no hidden costs....

7. Chickadee28

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    I ordered it because it said it could hold 12 standard chicks. I thought it would be nice and roomy because I ordered only 6 chicks. I don't even think 6 will fit comfortably in it. Oh well, I am one of those newbies that will fall for anything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by