Brooder question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chocobroc, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Setting up my brooder and preparing for the arrival of my babies. The brooder will be in my garage where it is already 95 degrees in there. Do I still need need the light? Or should I have one and turn it on at night (I'm quite sure the temp drops at night... so I just might have answered my own question here). What is best for this situation. Is it possible to make it too hot in there with the light? Its hot here, but I doubt my garage will get over 100... Help?!?!?

Thanks!!

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Yes, you definitely CAN have it too hot in the brooder and kill the chicks and/or cause other problems (like pasty butt).

My brooder is in the garage too and it's 90 degrees in there today. I keep a thermometer in the brooder and monitor it throughout the day so it doesn't get too hot in the brooder. Turn the light off when the temperature is hotter than it should be in the brooder regardless of the temperatures outside.

3. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Get an outdoor thermometer to use in your brooder so you can monitor what the temperature is. I got mine at Lowe's for about $3

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    hmm. Well just keep an eye on the thermometer and make sure it doesnt get TO high. 95 F is not going to hurt them. If they start panting you know it is to hot. good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  5. Chocobroc

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Thanks!! You all are the best. I did pick up a thermometer today at Lowes. I'll put a lamp in there anyway and only turn it on when it gets below the ideal temp. Also monitoring to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

I will post pics of my brooder when complete. I'm so excited. [​IMG]

6. empireranch

empireranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    My chicks are also in the garage - I am in So. Calif and the garage seemed very warm also. I did some "test runs" with the heat lamp prior to chick arrival - did a lot of shifting around with the lamp in order to maintain a good initial temperature. Used two red bulbs - both from local pet store in reptile dept - 75W during the day and put in the 100W at night.

7. Chocobroc

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Quote:Thanks Empireranch!! Excellent idea as well. I will do the same this week.

You all are so helpful!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by