Brooder question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trulyblessed, Mar 11, 2012.

1. trulyblessed

trulyblessed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Last spring was our first year with chickens, both meaties and layers. We didn't know better and put the brooder in our playroom. By the time they were ready to go out to their tractor, their was a thin layer of "dust" on everything in the room (nasty). So this year we are only doing meaties and I was wondering if they have a heat lamp, can they be kept out in the unheated garage/shop? I live in Michigan so it does get quite cooler at night. I'd probably get them in early May.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    As long as you can give them no drafts so they can stay warm and you can keep a consistent temp with the lamp, they'll be fine. I've brooded in a variety of places, including a garage, outside in a coop, etc. I had day old babies here, with a heat lamp:
    [​IMG]

3. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    It's also not a bad idea to have two heat lamps in case one bulb goes out. I live in Indiana and have 23 chicks in two cattle troughs in my garage with heat lamps. They are doing great.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Here in NY I have them in the garage with 2 heat lamps, one for back up. They have been there since day olds and all are well.

5. trulyblessed

Jun 4, 2011
    Awesome, thanks!!

6. trulyblessed

Jun 4, 2011
    So would they need the 125W or the 250W and does clear or red make a difference?

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I personally use the red so there is no picking at each other. If you look on page 3 of my uploads album you can see the size of the brooder I use 2 / 250 watt bulbs for.If your area is smaller and it is not really cold I would think you could use less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by