Brooder question!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarlieO, Jan 6, 2014.

1. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Hello! I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but here goes for a million and one: I have my chicks (that I hatched) going into a brooder tomorrow. I'm purchasing some chicks that were hatched by someone else on the same day also tomorrow so they're the same age. Is it ok to put them all in the same the brooder together? I'm sure there are people that will have good responses to both. I'm hoping for some good honest feedback. Thanks! :)

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes it is just fine. The only issue is potential illness.

So if you are doing a quarantine of chicks then you wouldn't put the two groups together. But if you aren't quarantining then they would be fine together.

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I'd put them all together, and do one brooder. Here is why: I have noticed that if you are aiming for a "unified flock" you need to raise them ALL together in order keep them as a unit. If they are brooded separately they don't bond and get used to their surrounding flockmates. It can cause strife, and problems especially if they range out The illness issue could happen, in theory, but most likely won't.If your other chicks come from a clean place, that has healthy birds I wouldn't give disease two thoughts. Chicks and adult chickens are a heck of a lot hardier than what most tend to believe...

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's what I was going to say.

1 person likes this.
  5. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    BarredBuff is right, put them all together but, for a week at least put SuperBoost into their water - 1/4 tsp to 1 gallon water as a precaution to illness. SuperBoost is a mix of vitamins, minerals and a general antibiotic.You will need to replace the SuperBoost in the water every 24 hours, that's how long it lasts.

1 person likes this.
  6. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Thanks for all your great responses! I did put them together today and all seems well so far!! :)

7. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    An alternative to what Stewarts said is you could put 2 tbsp of sugar per quart of water. This will give them a good boost too.

8. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Although people use sugar and say it work ok, I would not give them sugar in their water. When chickens and other fowl free range and if you read what their feed is made up of, you don't find sugar. Just as chocolate is very damaging to dogs, so sugar - even if people say it works - can be damaging to birds. But its up to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by