Brooder questions for new hatchlings

I was gonna candle them tomorrow night n see.
I haven't seen Mango with Milli at all so I doubt seriously those eggs are fertilized. Vanilli (broody) adds Milli's eggs to her pile everyday so idk what all is what now.
Mango and Milli may have done the deed in secret :oops:

Let us know how you go with sorting it all out, candling and setup as Weeg suggested. Hopefully your broody will get to hatch some of her own!
Is your new coop big enough for this expanding family!? Or do you plan to sell some or sell the roosters at least?

Is your new coop big enough for this expanding family!? Or do you plan to sell some or sell the roosters at least?
This, is a good point.
How big is your new coop? You already ache 9 Silkies in the brooder, and more babies coming. Make sure you are prepared for the amount of space you'll beed per chicken.
Google usually claims 10 square feet is enough in the run, 2 in the coop. This is not enough space. Thats based on commercially raised poultry, which are all crammed into a tight space.
I like to double that at least.
Run- 20ft per bird
Coop- 5ft per brid (even more space if possible, and you want it to stay clean longer)

This, is a good point.
How big is your new coop? You already ache 9 Silkies in the brooder, and more babies coming. Make sure you are prepared for the amount of space you'll beed per chicken.
Google usually claims 10 square feet is enough in the run, 2 in the coop. This is not enough space. Thats based on commercially raised poultry, which are all crammed into a tight space.
I like to double that at least.
Run- 20ft per bird
Coop- 5ft per brid (even more space if possible, and you want it to stay clean longer)
The new coop is 40 sqft.
The run is 200 sqft
This you want to stop.
Yeah I thought I was getting into a big problem...I'll correct this tomorrow for sure!
I will be giving away all new roosters (possibly Mango too if he doesnt behave) as well as probably 3 hens (depending on how many new roosters there are).

The new coop is 40 sqft.
The run is 200 sqft

Yeah I thought I was getting into a big problem...I'll correct this tomorrow for sure!

I will be giving away all new roosters (possibly Mango too if he doesnt behave) as well as probably 3 hens (depending on how many new roosters there are).
Great you have a plan for excess boys and girls 😃
Now just to organise your whole debarcle of a situation 😂 I'm excited to find out if any are developing tomorrow! I love watching broody hens raise chicks :love

Ok candling results of my little broody hoarder are
2 unfertilized/early death as well as mottling and hairline cracks

6 that are about day 2 or day 3
None of the 6 have visible black dots or veining.
I marked all 6 so I know what I'm dealing with since I can't easily separate miss broody from other pullet. And I'll just go down and collect unmarked eggs each day.
I'll candle those again Monday to see if i see any black dots/veining.

Ok candling results of my little broody hoarder are
2 unfertilized/early death as well as mottling and hairline cracks

6 that are about day 2 or day 3
None of the 6 have visible black dots or veining.
I marked all 6 so I know what I'm dealing with since I can't easily separate miss broody from other pullet. And I'll just go down and collect unmarked eggs each day.
I'll candle those again Monday to see if i see any black dots/veining.
Are you candling in the dark? Make sure its very dark when you candle and that should help you see into the eggs.

Ok since this is Vanilli's first broody and she's so young I am going to stick with my original plan if brooding the chicks already hatched in the garage.
I'll let her have the 6 she has and see what happens.
For the 8 I have currently in my guest bathroom...I have the brooder plate and would like to move them soon to the garage.
After @LadiesAndJane explained it in other thread, I quit trying to heat up the bathroom (poor chicks) and they seem quite content in there with just the brooder plate. The room temp (would that be considered the "ambient temp") is 72 currently in there. The garage on colder nights/days is more like 50s...
can they be moved to garage at 3 days old with just the brooder plate and me draping drop cloth over the dog kennel they will be within in the garage to prevent drafts?

Ok since this is Vanilli's first broody and she's so young I am going to stick with my original plan if brooding the chicks already hatched in the garage.
For the 8 I have currently in my guest bathroom...I have the brooder plate and would like to move them soon to the garage.
After @LadiesAndJane explained it in other thread, I quit trying to heat up the bathroom (poor chicks) and they seem quite content in there with just the brooder plate. The room temp (would that be considered the "ambient temp") is 72 currently in there. The garage on colder nights/days is more like 50s...
can they be moved to garage at 3 days old with just the brooder plate and me draping drop cloth over the dog kennel they will be within in the garage to prevent drafts?
If that is the lowest it goes to at night that's fine I think as they would be under their brooder plate for warmth

They will be just fine. As long and the brooder plate is the correct temperature, 50 degrees will be fine for the temp outside the brooder plate. I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Back
Top Bottom