Brooder questions help/suggestions please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Well, I need to start thinking about a brooder as I have 38 eggs in the bator and due to hatch at the end of this month.

I had a space I had all picked out for the brooder area but am now reconsidering after what someone told me yesterday. I was planning on putting the new chicks in the area where I have my hay for my horses. Bear in mind the hay is not in a barn, but in a converted garage area. Hay is on one side of the room and chicks will be on other side. I was told by someone yesterday that, that wouldn't be a good area because of the drafts and their is no real heat in there. Basically they will be in a room, that has a door that can be closed. I planned on putting bales of straw up to keep them contained in the area, and then put for sure one, maybe 2 heat lamps, and also put shavings down on the floor too. Is this an acceptable area or do I need to rethink it? It's physically impossible for me to keep them inside w/ me as my husband and I live in a small 5th wheel trailer and we have 3 cats and a dog. So it's pretty cramped as it is. We do have another 5th wheel that is not currently being used. Would this be a better place to keep them since it is more enclosed/insulated than the room where my hay is? My only thing about keeping them in the other 5th wheel is since they would need a heat lamp on them 24/7 if they are in the other 5th wheel I am more concerned about a fire starting w/ the heat lamp in the 5th wheel.

Any sugggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I need to start rethinking where I am going to put them I need to do it now, or need to think about starting to build something now.

Thanks
    Kim

2. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I would think that if they were surrounded with hay and had a lamp or two they would be ok. The only draft they would have would be from the top is that correct? Bales are good insulation.

3. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:Yes, the only draft would be from the top. There are windows in this room, and one of the windows is missing a pane. However, I plan on putting a board up on that one. Plus the door will remain closed at all times w/ the exception when I am in there tending to the chicks or when I am in there getting hay to feed the horses.

4. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    bump.

Is there anyone out there w/ other suggestions. Or is my plan for a brooder ok.

5. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    I don't see why the bales of hay stacked up with the heat lamps on them would be a problem. I think if you covered most of the area with a sheet draped over the bales that would keep the drafts out. Plus with the bales as the brooder you can start out with a small area and then enlarge it as the chicks grow.
    If you have really cold temps at night you might consider using the plastic container type brooders for a few weeks. There are tons of them posted here with directions and they are extremely inexpensive to make.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by