brooder questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dbrberry, Jun 11, 2008.

1. dbrberry

dbrberry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    how long do newly hatched chicks need to be in a brooder? they are bantams

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    That really depends on how many chicks size of brooder outside temp etc. Also, depends on where they are going after the brooder. Can you provide a heat lamp once you move them to the barn or where ever they are going next? I keep mine in the brooder for about 3 weeks, then they move to a pen in the barn separate from the other chickens but with a heat lamp. Once they are about 6 weeks they move to another section of the barn without a heat lamp (depending on the weather of course) then once they are about 10 weeks they go into the general population so to speak. I hope that helps???

3. dbrberry

dbrberry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    yes it does. i have about 12 eggs in incubator now but not for sure how many are gonna hatch and i ordered some more eggs so it will be less then 12 each hatch. they are gonna go from brooder to pen with regular bantams. most of mine are young none are over 6 months of age. i wasn't even for sure on how to do this but i'm figuring it out as i go. thank you for your help.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We moved ours to an insulated coop with their brooder lamp at 2 weeks when they got too tall for our first brooder! They're doing very well and since we have a thermometer in there we can relax about their comfort. No huddling other than to gather for short naps. They're roosting and exercising, very content. We did give the coop construction a lot of thought for even temperatures in extreme heat/cold and with a view to predator protection.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by