Brooder setup?

Kentucky Hen

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2021
We just moved our chicks to the garage from a plastic container inside our home to a 7 ft water trough in our garage. This is my 1st time raising baby chicks. I know its big but i have 2 waters set up 1 regular water and 1 with save-a-chick electro mixed with the SAC probiotic. Also have a brooder plate and heat lamp. I know it needs a cover we are waiting for our wire cloth to come in. Does the setup so far look safe or anything I need to change?

Attachments

• 20210405_201348.jpg
    20210405_201348.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 42
Why a heat plate and a lamp? Do you have a thermometer? What is the temperature under the heat lamp and away from it? What is ambient air temperature?
Its staying about 95 under the heat lamp. The other side is around 65 degrees. I put the heat plate in there because i was affraid the area was to large. Only 2 of the bigger chicks are using the heat plate the rest like the lamp. Should i remove the heat plate?

How is the heat lamp secured? The brooder is not going to be big enough in about 2 weeks. That's a lot of chicks in there.
Do you have your coop finished?
I have the lamp wired and latched around the leg of a ladder. The coop just needs a chicken door and im waiting for the wire cloth to come in Thursday to take out the plexiglas windows and switch out with the wire cloth. We did a 10.5x 7ft tough shed because wood is so expensive. We ended up framing the inside walls for extra support. Spanned 2 2x4s across the back wall for there roost. We are also waiting for our electric company to run power to our barn but that should be done in about a week also. The run is 10ftx25ft plus 7 feet high and they also have the deck under the coop in addition which is a 12x8. Running half inch wire cloth and dropping wire under ground 2 ft around the perimeter. My husband is actually going now to get the metal roofing panels to cover the run now :) my next question was going to be on a chicken door. Since there coop and run is predator proof should i use just a standard door?

I have the lamp wired and latched around the leg of a ladder. The coop just needs a chicken door and im waiting for the wire cloth to come in Thursday to take out the plexiglas windows and switch out with the wire cloth. We did a 10.5x 7ft tough shed because wood is so expensive. We ended up framing the inside walls for extra support. Spanned 2 2x4s across the back wall for there roost. We are also waiting for our electric company to run power to our barn but that should be done in about a week also. The run is 10ftx25ft plus 7 feet high and they also have the deck under the coop in addition which is a 12x8. Running half inch wire cloth and dropping wire under ground 2 ft around the perimeter. My husband is actually going now to get the metal roofing panels to cover the run now :) my next question was going to be on a chicken door. Since there coop and run is predator proof should i use just a standard door?

Attachments

• 20210403_163250_358092309444908.jpg
    20210403_163250_358092309444908.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 30

Back
Top Bottom