Brooder setup!

Pics

Alex S

Songster
Nov 20, 2020
Kirkland, Washington
I'm getting my first ever chickens tommrow morning!!!! So excited! I just set up my brooder! Sorry if the picture is blurry at all. Any thoughts questions or opinions?

Down below is the temporary egg carton feeder, next to it is the water, and lastly is the brooder plate. 2 inches of bedding/shavings
20210408_194429.jpg

I'm getting my first ever chickens tommrow morning!!!! So excited! I just set up my brooder! Sorry if the picture is blurry at all. Any thoughts questions or opinions?

Down below is the temporary egg carton feeder, next to it is the water, and lastly is the brooder plate. 2 inches of bedding/shavings
FYI: I did lay down some paper towels over the bedding

That looks really good! I assume that you are planning to get an actual feeder. With my chicks, I placed the feeder and waterers on a brick, at least once they were a week old. It helped keep the shavings out, but you have a nice and different waterer then I have (mine was a fountain) which looks like it will keep shavings out better. I have also never used a heat plate (I use a lamp) but I might end up using one in the future. Congrats on your (soon to be) new chicks!

Congrats! I'd make sure I remembered which way to turn the brooder legs to raise/lower it, or maybe even have it slanted with one end higher than the other, in case you've mis judged the height of the babies' backs. That way when they arrive, you don't have to panic and try to adjust the legs so the chicks can fit under the brooder heater or if it's too tall. You'll be busy dipping beaks in water. The advice on paper towels etc is wonderful too!

Well, I'm just a day ahead of you, but looks good to me! Your set up looks practically identical to mine. We even have the same heating plate! The only thing I ended up adding to mine were little pieces of 2x4s to put the food and water on. Before I added them the chicks were tromping through the water. Put the water and food on the 2x4s and they can still reach it perfectly fine, and no more damp chicks! Good luck tomorrow! Can't wait to see pics of your babies! <3

Well, I'm just a day ahead of you, but looks good to me! Your set up looks practically identical to mine. We even have the same heating plate! The only thing I ended up adding to mine were little pieces of 2x4s to put the food and water on. Before I added them the chicks were tromping through the water. Put the water and food on the 2x4s and they can still reach it perfectly fine, and no more damp chicks! Good luck tomorrow! Can't wait to see pics of your babies! <3
I made a little popsicle stick house to lift the water up into the air 😆

Back
Top Bottom