Brooder size for 20 bantams?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by slhopper, Feb 27, 2013.

1. slhopper

slhopper Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Have 20 bantam chicks due April 1. How large of a brooder will I need to raise them until they are feathered and can go out into the coop? These will be my first chickens in about 8 years, and I am building a very secure coop and run for them, but was unsure of brooder size.

Thanks!

2. The brooder size for 20 bantams should be kinda big. I would do somewhere around 10ft by 12ft maybe

3. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    10 by 12? That is pretty ridiculous to me...no offense I am not trying to be rude here, I started mine in a 5 x 3 brooder and then at 4 weeks they are now separated, 14 in each, the smaller bunch in a 4 x 5 an the bigger babes in 6 x 3 and there is plenty if room for them all with no ights or crowding, they rarely use half of the box.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. ashl768

ashl768 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    I use a 5x3 for 8 chicks, I would reccomend something much bigger for 20 chicks!

5. slhopper

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks for the input, guess there is no strict rule of thumb! I will just start them and see, adjust if I need to. Thanks! [​IMG]

6. Bone143

Bone143 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    I use a 2 x 4 foot tote for the first week with about 30 then, move them to a 4X4 for a week or so then to a 4x8 then to the coop and run from that once they get feathers and they seem to do fine. Biggest thing is the more water the better as one waterer wont service 20 birds make sure you have at least 2 for that many or they will constantly be out of water etc. feed can generally get by with one good sized feeder if its a hanging feeder and not a small trough feeder thingy. Just make sure they have enough room to roam around some and get away from each other. I like to generally see about fourth of the space for birds and the other 3/4th for roaming.

7. slhopper

Feb 15, 2013
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by