Brooder size or interim before outdoors?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bluemonster107, May 22, 2019.

1. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    My coturnix are 1 week and 3 days old and they are getting some good height with new feathers... like if I didn’t have a lid on the brooder... they would definitely fly/flop/pop out... lol
    My question is.... is my current brooder too small? I just hate building a new one when they move outdoors in like a month... if I really need to I will... soooo....
    suggestions??
    I am currently using a storage bin... 33.8” long x 18.75” wide x 13” tall and there are 8 chics with water, food, sand bin and heat plate.

Attached Files:

le_bwah likes this.
  2. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    There current space pic attached

Attached Files:

3. le_bwah

le_bwah Crowing

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    I used the exact same bin. It was fine for 10 chick up until about Week 2, but then they needed more room almost overnight. I hooked up another bin to the first using a melted/cut old pitcher as a tunnel between the two.

That let them all stay together and made cleaning the bins easier (can just shoo them between bins as needed, rather than handle them outright).

P6050371.jpg

Are you sure you need to keep the chicks in for a whole month more? They're usually feathered out by 3-4 weeks. When the temps were in the low 60s at night, I've sent mine out at 3 and 3.5 weeks without issue.

Bluemonster107 likes this.
  4. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    @le_bwah ... oh yes! I remember you showing me that pic when talking brooders... I thought it was a brilliant idea then... and a brilliant idea now.. lol
    I’m glad you reposted it so I could remember how to attach the two .. I just feel they need more wandering area so it’s perfect!
    And no.. I didn’t plan them staying a whole month indoors... it was just an easier time statement .
    It is usually warmer here but has been in the 50s in the mornings... not complaining thought because our summers are just way too hot!.. anyway.. yup.. as soon as those blankets grow in on them.. they will head to their outdoor home

le_bwah likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: