Brooder size question ~Pics added~

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RubberChickenLubber, Mar 1, 2008.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    We are building a brooder into the wall of our coop. It's going to have a mesh floor so the litter can fall in with the bedding, and lesson clean up. It's going to be 4 feet wide and 30 inches deep. The top is going to be sloped so the chickens can't roost on it.

So here's my question: If we have the roof 18 inches in the back and slope to 14 inches in the front, will this be tall enough for the chicks until 8 weeks old?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My thoughts it's cutting it alittle too close...16 or 18 for the front and 22 to 24 for the back if you could..depending on bantams or standards...some tend to grow faster than others.....the 4 ft. by 30" sound good....be careful keeping chicks on wire flooring its hard on their feet.....

3. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I rethought it, and we decided on 30 inches in back, and 24 in front. They won't be in there until they are 4 weeks old, they'll be inside until then.

4. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Thats a very good plan....post pics when you get it done....

Thats on my list for a this summer project... a brooder set into the wall on one side of my pens...Talked about it last year too late so hopefully this summer before I get a good hatching fever again in the dead of winter...

5. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Here are the pics. We haven't put the lamp out there yet. It only cost us about $20-$25 to build.

Front
    [​IMG]

Side
    [​IMG]

With chicks
    [​IMG]

My hubby is going to build a small roost in it too.

6. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    I like it- thats a very good idea. I just might copy you [​IMG] pretty chicks as well. [​IMG]

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I like that very much....good job....Thats very close to what I want to do....

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Within doubt, bigger is always better!

As for wire floor, it may work for lighter breeds... as it is not so good for their feet.

9. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    We put a red brooder bulb in the brooder last night, and all went well. Only thing is, the coop looked possessed if you looked. It had a red glow. [​IMG]

10. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Here's the new indoor brooder for chicks up to 4 weeks

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by