1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder size questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Maqui, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Maqui

Maqui Just Hatched

Oct 20, 2016
    I caught the chicken 'bug' last summer when a neighbor gave me 2 hens and a hoop house. Now I'm getting ready for some new peeps which I have never done before. I'm all for bigger is better and want to build a brooder 'box' that will house 6 peeps until I can get a bigger coop constructed.

The biggest question I have - is there any reason why most people build rectangular brooder boxes, such as 3 x 5 ?

I was thinking of doing a 4 x 4 for the sole reason I can get a sheet of plywood and have it cut in half, then 1/2 into 12" sections. That would be the base of my brooder 'box'.

Am I missing 'something' by doing a square like that?

Thanks in advance for any replies from you masters.

MaryAnn

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Of course square is fine. I think the reason we may use rectangular for brooder boxes or any boxes is that a rectangular box is easier to carry around if it isn't as wide as long.

3. Maqui

Maqui Just Hatched

Oct 20, 2016
    Thanks for the reply, SueT, and you have a great point there! There's a brooder box pictured on this website that I was thinking of doing something like. The top is removable so the whole thing would be manageable for me to move. Being only 12" high, the base would go through a door sideways.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    The other reason to go rectangular is the heat lamp. One end is the warm end and the other is a cool down side. It is critical that they can not only get warm but also cool off.

5. Maqui

Maqui Just Hatched

Oct 20, 2016
    Thanks for the reply 21hens-incharge. I did think about that! I got most of my materials yesterday and decided on a 3x5. I will post photos in the brooder section when I am done. Peeps due to arrive around April 19

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    You are welcome. Looking forward to the updates.

My babies are with a mama hen and at 45 degrees this morning they are running about scratching up a storm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by