Brooder size/temp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elmtree, Feb 28, 2013.

1. elmtree

elmtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    This is my first time raising chicks and so far so good. Ordered 12 from Ideal, got 23... 9 production red males for warmth and 2 extra pullets. 4 Australorps, 4 Java, 4 EE's, and 2 silver Sebrights total. Ok so they are 2 weeks and one day old today and I have been trying to lower the temp in the brooder by 5 degrees each week. I tried lowering the temp to 85/88 yesterday/today and they just huddled together all of the time and didn't seem too happy, so I raised the temp back to about 91/93. Should I force the issue? Ambient temp in room is about 60 and temp is 93 under the light now and they are super happy. Secondly, thinking I was getting 12 chicks with maybe a couple extra for warmth.... And then receiving 23 will probably[​IMG] cramp everyone's space. The brooder is 30" by 48". Any suggestions for a larger area or when they might need a larger area? Still about six inches of snow on the ground and cold so outside is not possible.

2. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    do you have a basement with a cement floor???? that is what we did when we had our first batch of chicks. we got 2 4x8 sheets of ply wood and we made at 8x8 pen in our basement with 2 heat lamps and used wood shavings as bedding. gives them alot more room it is easy to clean and with it four feet tall the walls we didnt really worry about them getting out till they were about 4 weeks old and they we just used some chicken wire to cover the top so they couldnt fly out

3. elmtree

elmtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    I wish we did lol. It's a finished basement [​IMG] with carpet. That's a great idea though!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by