Brooder Size

Fresh Eggs

Songster
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
Hi all,

I am getting 26 layer chicks at the end of this month, and I would like to know how big a brooder should be for about 2 months because it is sorta cool here to let 1 month olds outside.

Fresh Eggs

You are going to get many different opinions. Up to 2 months? I have a 3 X 5 ft. 2 ft high brooder pen that I have get a good number in. What is really important is how hard you want to work, meaning how often you need to clean it and also that they are not picking on each other. When I have had chicks in February, no matter the size, they seemed to like to be together and around their heat lamps.

PeepHouseInside.jpg

Edited to add picture

Last edited:
at one month a 24" x 48" brooder gets real tight for 20 chicks. I don't know where you are and what cool is to the humans in your area, but the chicks can go out at 5 weeks and thrive quite nicely in 20 degree weather. We did it this year. We really didn't want to, but we were getting seriously overcrowded and the manure production was overwhelming the brooder.

We live in the bay area. 34 was the lowest I've heard of. Since raising these chicks is a 1st, we dont want any to be lost, for their run is about 40x 60 feet, with lots of shrubs, vines and grass. The coop constuction is ubderway.

At 5 weeks they should be fully feathered and as long as you have a coop you can make a low perch for them or put a cardboard box in the coop. After they are feathered the big thing that you have to remember is that cold and dry is good, cold and wet is bad! Keep them dry and draft free and use your best judgement about putting them outside after 5 weeks. Keep them in if you are comfortable with the size of your brooder and the size of the birds. I am in San Diego right now working on a project and I would love to have this weather at home. The Bay area is probably not quite as nice as it is here, but you should have more problems with summer heat than winter cold.

I have a very similar question as fresh eggs. I'm waiting for mypetchicken, but I plan on ordering 6 chicks. I too plan on keeping them inside for 5-6 weeks, but am unsure about what size to make it. Any suggestions? I was thinking about 3x5 or 4x4, but that just sounds large for 6 chicks.
Thanks!

I recommend u go with 3x5 or 4x4, that is perfect for chicks at a month or so, they will have plenty of room, it is better that way.

Back
Top Bottom