Brooder size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LlamaChick, Feb 28, 2009.

1. LlamaChick

LlamaChick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    Llama Country
    Is a brooder that is 2 ft x 3 ft going to be big enough to brood 3 chicks untill they can go outside? Thanks

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    it should be but just barely

I have read that 1 square foot per bird is ok when they are young and then 2 - 3 square feet when they are mature..

I had 10 young chickens in a brooder that is aprox 4' X 4' till they went outside

3. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    That should work. Mine is 2'x2' and raise 2 per brooder up till laying stage.

4. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    you have plenty of room according to everything i have read heard and use.(3.75 sq ft extra actually) rule of thumb .5 sq ft per bird for the first 4 weeks. .75 sq ft per bird for weeks 5-8. by that time they should be well feathered. as far as heat rule of thumb is 90-95 degrees the first week then drop 5 degrees each following week. you should have happy birds

5. LlamaChick

LlamaChick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    Llama Country
    Thanks guy's I was thinking of useing my shower that we never use and just making a side and a top (we have a cat) It is out of our living space but we are in that bathroom alot (compaired to the other) so they would still get interaction with us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by