Brooder size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by toyzbox, Apr 14, 2009.

1. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    How big of a brooder do I need for 20 chicks? They are all standard size (no bantams).
    Also, any suggestions on what to use?

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I used at 3 X 5 horse water trough and they were able to stay in that for several...6-7 weeks. You could use a rubbermaid storage container or any cardboard box until you find something larger and more perm. My girlfriend got a refridgerator box from an appliance store and it was huge! I think that they need 6 inches per chick for the first week and then need a sq ft per chick after that. Good luck to you and your new chicks!

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I too used a HUGE stock tank (169 gal) for ten chicks. Got a little tight when they reached 7 wks when I moved the stock tank out to their 12 x 12' coop. They still like to sleep in the tank at night. I have a 2 x 4" roost inside it and three 2 x 6" sitting on top that they like to roost on.

I continue with the 250 watt heat lamp because night time lows are 30-40's.

The HUGE fridge box sounds great if you have the room for them. When your 20 get to be 3 wks or so you may need two of them.

Red heat lamp so they can sleep and won't pick on each other.

Best of luck with your babies.

4. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    So the best thing to do is figure 1 sq ft per chick from the start and they will last for up to 6 weeks? If you have the room for it...
    I was going to put them in a garden tub that we never use and I think it measures about 54 x 54.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by