Brooder size?

UrbanEgg

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 22, 2009
Will a large dog crate work as a brooder for 8 (non bantam) chicks until I can introduce my chicks out into the coop/run? I have them in a medium rubbermaid bin for now, but within just a few days they'll need something bigger. My first chicks last year got lucky and I had a large refridgerator box, that I no longer have, so I just put a big yard strainer on it as a lid. I'm looking for something collapsable, since we don't have a lot of storage room for something big like that that won't be used long. Plus, I found a large dog crate on criagslist for $20. So before I bought it, I wanted to make sure it would work until I can put them out into the coop (I do have adult chickens, but I can separate my coop and run space into 2 sections as they introduce).

Thanks for any advice!

Holly

Last edited:
I have used large metal dog crates for brooding - - I just used plastic zip-ties to attach cardboard sides that were 4-6" high to keep in some heat. Do make sure your peeps cannot slip out between the bars . . .

I also found I could attach the clip heat lamp to the top of the cage, and zip tie it in two places for security. Just always check your temps and have everything all set before you move peeps in.

Good luck!

[Ed. to add - - you can also use wooden dowels wedged or tied into place diagonally across one or two corners as neat perches in cage-type brooders, too. The chicks love it!]

Last edited:
It should work. We brood ours in a large plastic kennel. I think 8 chicks at almost feathered out age would be slightly tight in the kennel we have. But it should be ok

Back
Top Bottom