1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder size?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flip9109, Mar 2, 2008.

1. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    Hi everyone, I have chicks coming in april and want to ready.
    I was looking at the FAQs but didn't find anything that recomended sizes of brooders. I'm getting 20 chicks all bantams how big should i build? It will start in the house but I will prolly use it out side after. I figured a 2x3 frame with chicken wire would do (I'll attach cardbord to the bottom of the sides for when they are tiny so they don't fit through the wire) I'll just place it on a sheet of plywood instead of building it with a floor. that way later when i use it outside I can use it as a small tractor. Sound right?
    but i don't know how big they need as little guys.

oh I almost for got 10 of them are for a friend of mine I am going to have them untill they are old enuf to leave.

so what do you folks think?

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    My first brooder was approx 2x3 with 15 chicks. Within a week or so it was way to small. I built a 4'x4' and there was less picking and fighting. I also installed a roost that made a world of difference. Keeps the sleeping ones off the floor, ie more space. I was thinking of installing a 4'x2' second floor one foot off the first floor for more space. Most of the chicks seem to like being higher than lower. I also can move them to the coop with a 250 heat lamp if I have to but it has been just so cold here. John

3. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    how about hight? i was thinking 2ft?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That will be high enough if you put some sort of top on it. 2 feet won't keep them in for very long. It's amazing how quickly they can get some lift with those little wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by