Brooder Size?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WildflowerJLH, Jan 23, 2011.

1. WildflowerJLH

WildflowerJLH Chillin' With My Peeps

Talk to me about how much space I need per chick. When we grew our first chicks, we only had 6 or 8 at a time. They were only indoors for about 5 weeks, since it was late summer. Dearest husband wants to get 25 broilers at the end of February. I am guessing that they will need to stay indoors for 7-8 weeks. So how much space should I need?

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I had 25 last year. They started out in 2 tubs & after a week they moved to 4 tubs.

after 2 more weeks I moved them all to a 5ft x 5ft brooder pen built out of old storm windows in the garage. I had 4 brooder lights in there for them so it was warm enough.

In any case - they will need lots more room as they grow out.

3. WildflowerJLH

Do you have any pictures? We just used a big box for the few chicks we had, along with chicken wire on the top to keep cats out. Also used a heat lamp. How big were the tubs that you used?

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Half a square foot per chick for the first two weeks. A square foot from weeks to four. Two square feet from four to eight by which time they should be out of the brooder.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Um, I'm afraid you will really regret brooding broilers indoors, especially for that long.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I missed where he said broilers. I definitely would NOT brood them indoors past two weeks. Even then you're going to need to change the bedding often.

7. WildflowerJLH

OK, so how do I keep them warm outside after 2 weeks? Daytime temps here will mostly be in the 50's, night time in the 20's. Would putting them out for the day, but bringing them in for the night work? I would put the heat lamp out with them.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:People have been brooding outdoors for generations. Depends what your facilities are. I won't brood any chicks indoors, have 7 out there under a broody now that were hatched yesterday, but I realize that is a different thing.

Do you have a garage? Coop? Tell us about what your setup is.

9. WildflowerJLH

I have both a garage and a "workshop." By indoors, I do not mean in my house. Indoors, just means within 4 walls, protected from predators, wind, weather extremes, etc.

I have a coop for my layers (8 hens + 1 roo). We are considering the "do-ability" of 25 broilers. If we do, I have decided on freedom rangers. I want to order them by mid-March, so we can dispatch and process them before our family vacation at the end of June.

10. WildflowerJLH

BTW, even though we live in southern CA, we live at elevation. We run the risk of frost and even snow well into May. My biggest concern is warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by