Brooder Size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by meowteri2, Mar 14, 2011.

1. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    How many weeks could I keep my chicks in a 48"x36" brooder that is 34" high. Those are inside dimensions.
    I want to keep them as long as possible in there before I put them with the adults. there will be 3 chicks in there.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    According to the brooder size chart I have, 8 weeks. They really need to be outdoors by then, if not sooner, and have run space in addition to the brooder. They will not be as large as the adults until around 20 weeks. They will be fully feathered at 8 weeks so can live outdoors then, if not before. You can try them with the adults at 8 weeks but there will be pecking order issues, possibly serious ones. If you can free range them together when introducing, it may help, especially if the little ones have a place to escape to. The integration is more likely to go smoothly if you pen them near the adults for a while before you let them have access to each other.

Good luck.

3. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Quote:I have a large run area I can put them in with the adults to give them outside time.
    I will start them in the house and then move them to the garage.
    The main coop is behind the garage. I thought I could maybe keep them in the brooder like 12 weeks and then
    bring them in the coop with the adults.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by