Brooder size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cockle-Dood, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    I have been combing through these threads the last few days to attempt to find and answer without double posting the same question, but onviously im still at a loss, so here goes...

How big does the brooder need to be for 12 chicks? I had something in mind but as i read further and learning the the babies will be in it for atleast a month i began to question the size. I dont want to cramp the little guys, but dont really wanna over-do it due to space limitations.

As i have learned the "rule of thumb" is 3 sq ft within the coup per chicken, 10 sq ft in the run per chicken...is there something like that regarding the brooder?

Thanks in advance for all the help! Yall are great and look forward to learning more!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I think you should aim for 6 sq feet, that 1/2 sq foot per chick. Which sounds like a lot, until they start growing! Make sure you cover the top of the brooder as well. Once those little wing feathers are in they are going to try them out and they can fly amazingly well at quite a young age.

3. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    Oh yeah, a cover is definately in the game plan, the size was my only question, and the sizing you mentioned is about what i had in mind originally, but with the extra supplies i have i can think about making a dual sides brooder....

See now yall have me puttin my thinking cap back on...the misses is gonna kill me! Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by