Brooder Size?

CoopDaVille

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
I bought 6 baby chicks at TS last Thursday. I set them up in a 24"L x 18"W x 21"H wire dog crate. I hung a light from the top, added fine pine shavings on the floor, and used an old sheet to surround the side almost to the top (leaving about 4" at top for ventilation) and laid a blanket on top to protect them from my cats (already lost 1 when my cat reached thru and swatted it). I placed a small rectangle plastic bin at one end that they can all fit in and a wood perch. It also contains the small chick feeder and water feeder. They seem to have ample room to roam but I know this will change quickly. Until what age will they be able to stay in this setup? I read somewhere that when full grown they will need appx 1-2 sq/ft each in the coop.

I am less than 2 weeks new with chickens and have 9 that are 2 weeks old or less. From what I have read, not getting into measurements... When they don't have enough floor space to lay down, sprawled out, with some space in between each chick it is time to give them more space. I am looking forward to "more seasoned" owners comments too.
SonShine

Thanks SonShine. Mine are starting to explore and scratch. They'll eat out of my hand and using my arm as a perch when I try to clean the brooder. They are already trying to fly a little so I just want to make sure they have plenty of room.

Back
Top Bottom