Brooder size?

WaddleWaddle

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 1, 2013
Culpeper, VA
I have 22 chicks and 18 ducks coming the first part if March. We are in the process of building a new larger coop (I currently have 11 hens and 3 ducks) and will be building our brooder(s) next. I plan to brood the chicks and ducks separately. That being said what size brroder would I need for 22 chicks and what size for 18 ducks?
Thanks in advance!

I only raise chickens, not ducks, so I can’t help you on the ducks.

How long do you plan to keep them in the brooder? There is a big difference in size at 8 weeks versus 5 weeks. Also what is the sex ratio? By 5 weeks males need more room than females.

I once kept 28 chicks in a 3’ x 5’ brooder until they were 5 weeks old. That group had 5 cockerels and 23 pullets. Another time I kept 21 chicks in there until 5 weeks. That group was 17 cockerels and 4 pullets. In both cases it was getting pretty crowded. Both groups were full-sized fowl, not bantam.

I suggest you make it extra big to give you some flexibility in the timing. All it takes is one storm or a family emergency to mess up a building schedule. Been there, done that.

I have ordered all females and I would like to integrate them in with my flock sooner than later. The new coop will be 95% done this weekend - everything done except siding, shingles and the interior. The rest will be finished next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom