1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder smell gone!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mandelyn, Jul 1, 2011.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Last time I brooded ducks, there were 5 in a brooder with a solid floor. Changing towels twice a day still left an odor.

I knew I needed something different for 10. Did a wire bottom in a hutch type brooder. NO SMELL! Yay! Even with towels down for their little feet to get them started, I didn't want to put them directly onto the wire just yet.

I will never ever brood ducklings in something that has a solid bottom ever again. Having the air flow below has made all the difference! No wet bedding, no wet + heat+ confined space to create a smell. The towels around the water don't even get that wet, they dry out pretty well. I still change the towels twice a day because there is twice the amount of poo, but the odor doesn't get a chance.

This is great, I'm having so much fun with them!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That is a great report! Next year I will likely brood a few ducklings. Having eleven kept me hopping! From here on out, I want to keep it to three or four. That limits me in regards to my source for ducklings, but I reckon it will work out fine. I may even be able to have a friend with an incubator do some hatching for me.

Anyway, great bit of information!

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    OK, but the poo and spilled water still has to go somewhere. Its falling through the wire, keeping the ducks clean, but what is collecting it, and how is it that that isn't smelly?

I'm doing the same thing right now with some Cornish cross chickens, keeping them in wire pens above great big rubbermade bins. The chickens are a LOT cleaner, because all of the droppings and mess fall through. And, by cleaning the bins daily, there is almost no odor.

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:I was wondering the same thing....what's it falling into? I brood in the house...for now .Am curious though as I have 6 eggs about to hatch now.3 are pipped...

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    It's falling into a big black "all purpose" tub I bought at Lowes. Forgot to mention that. [​IMG] It's larger than the cement mixing pan, found them both in the lumber aisle.

I just hose that out once a day. May need to bump it to twice a day when they double in size.

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Thanks. I figured it was something along those lines.

I just bought a bag of "Sweet PDZ" horse stall drier and deodorant at the feed store, and it really does work. Its a blend of a couple of kinds of minerals, and it helps a lot to keep the odor down. Plus, its non-toxic. You might want to check it out, some of that sprinkled in the bin would help later as they age.

7. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    This is encouraging to me! I am procrastinating moving my ducks to a wire-floored glider cage that I have sitting around, but it's good to know that the smell will drop down once I do. (It has a built-in pan so all I'll have to do is slide that out and clean it twice a day.)

I just feel bad putting their little feeties on wire...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  8. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:DucksForBackyards.com is where I got my little ones, and they were awesome. I ordered two but they threw in a freebie, and all arrived the picture of health. [​IMG]

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, lovesgliders, that sounds great! And I am thinking now about a very small wire bottomed cage for indoors (we're in New England and I am a professional duck spoiler) for brooding three or four. Last year was my first, with fifteen ducklings arriving, and eleven staying after my friend took her four home two weeks later. The brooder was a pen I could get into!

So, to keep the little flock at around 12, and have mixed ages so we can keep getting some eggs, I plan to bring in some new ducklings every few years. In my perfect world, ducks would never pass away, or at least they'd all reach a ripe old age. But I've lost a couple, now to oviduct related problems (working with a vet, doing what I can, learning as I go).

Wifezilla has a neat setup for brooding a small number of ducklings. I otta go peek at that again.

I'd consider using the limousine (a coated wire dog crate) but that is needed for occasional duck transport.

Maybe I need to get another limousine. Hmmmm.

10. bibkel

bibkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Picture of your setup? thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by