Brooder temp at other end from light

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicknManCNY, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ChicknManCNY

ChicknManCNY In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Hey everyone just wanted to say I love this site been lurking for about 6 months now. My question is I know that under the lights you should have around 95 degrees for the fist week then drop 5 degrees a week after that but what is the other end suppose to be? I just built a 4 ft by 3 ft brooder thats 20 in tall. At the end with the light it gets to the target 95ish at the other end I'm getting around 80. Is this warm enough. I don't yet have my chicks just want to be prepared when they arrive 4/4. Boy oh boy I can hardly contain myself. First time having chickens.

2. Terri O

Terri O Crowing

If you can move the light more towards the center and maintain the temp at 95 for the first week that would be good. If that is not possible, you can tell just by the way the chicks are acting if they are warm enough. Watch to see that they are evenly spaced around the enclosure. If they are away from the light, raise it up if they are clustered under it, either lower it or add wattage. HTH--Terri O (PS) congrats on being sucked into this wonderful hobby!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

At first, I keep the heat lamp about 30 inches above the bottom of the brooder bin at one end, and the waterer and feeder at the other end, where it's significantly cooler. My brooder is about 3 and a half feet long. The chicks can move into the warmth or away from it.

4. ChicknManCNY

ChicknManCNY In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Quote:Ok so the whole brooder should be about 95 for the first week but with a cautious eye as to not over heat them. I think I can easily enough move the mounting post to the center.

I'm so excited about getting my little gals. My 2 yo daughter won't put down the Meyer catalog. We decided on 5 RIRs 5 BRs 5 BAs 5 golden comets and 5 black sex links along with 1 BR roo and I just found on craigslist some silkies! This darn chicken
    Math has a hold on me already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: