Brooder temp problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kat4011, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Kat4011

Kat4011 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I bought the red lamp and I bought a thermometer. I can't seem to keep the brooder at a constant tempature. It goes from 80 if I raise it (which is way to cold for day old baby chicks) to like 110 in just an inch or so adjustment. I had it at 95 and Ut said there for a couple hours but when I woke up it was at 115! They have a lot of space to roam if they need to get out from under the lamp, but I dint know if that's ok or if I need to try something else.

Any help is appreciated!!!

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as they can get away from the heat and get back to it you are fine. I use a big watering trough and have the light on one side. If they need the heat they can go to it otherwise they can escape it. Hope that helps you [​IMG]

3. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    If you have a infrared lamp the thermometer doesn't read that..like it does for a regular heat bulb try it with the regular...I found that my chicks even at 1-2 days old didn't need 95 degrees they started at about 87-90 and went down from there....so just watch them and listen to them you and them should be fine.... [​IMG]

4. Kat4011

Kat4011 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Yes, I have an infrared lamp. That's good to know!

The chicks really are not making a lot of noise, which worries me since the ones I have at work are super noisy. They are not super active either but then again there only two days old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by