Brooder Temp Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gypsy Blue, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Gypsy Blue

Gypsy Blue Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Ok, so I'm new at the chicken addiction and I have 18 lovely little fuzzy butts in the brooder ranging from about 5 days old to 11 days old. I did the "move the light until they are comfy thing" and now I have active little girls running all over then doing their cute little narcoleptic thing falling asleep where they stand. Normal chicky stuff. Well i put a thermometer in there just to see what the temp is and it's reading 80! Is this ok? I want to say yes as none of my chicks are acting lethargic or cuddling right under the lamp. But I guess i want to know if I'm inadvertanly causing harm. Probably being a "momma hen" and WAY overthinking this but I guess some reassurance would help lol... [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If they are acting normal and not huddling or chirping loudly, they are probably fine. That's pretty close to the right temp for the older ones anyway. Just watch them, if the younger ones seem like they are chilly you can always lower it a bit to get it a little warmer.

Have fun with them, they outgrow that fuzzy golf ball shaped stage so quickly! I'm very envious, I raised my most recent batch last fall, my coops are full, so no babies for me this spring!

3. elmtree

elmtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    From what I have read and experienced myself, as long as they have the red bulb to lay under if they choose it should be fine. You can tell by their behavior if they are warm enough. For example, running around playing and exploring all over the brooder=comfortable( this includes napping under the bulb but somewhat spread out), huddled under brooder lamp on top of each other= cold, laying all around the perimeter but no one is near the lamp= too warm. Hope this helps. It is a constant challenge to keep them comfortable for the first couple weeks lol

4. Gypsy Blue

Gypsy Blue Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    [​IMG]Yay, I'm glad I'm doing good by them at least! I actually raised it a touch last night b/c a few of the older ones were panting and even the younger ones were vearing away from the light slightly. I love this stage of course part of me is excited to see the different changes in feathers and their teenage case of the "uglies" (which is always cute but you know what i mean).

5. CristinaLa

CristinaLa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Placerville, Ca
    Great Question.. I was wondering the same thing just now.. mine are acting normal and happy, but the temp says alittle over 80, Mine are between a week and almost 2 week.. but they are not huddling, and they are running around playing.. I will just make sure to watch them closely too.. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by