Brooder Temps

needlessjunk

Crowing
7 Years
May 19, 2014
Georgetown, TX
I'm having a hard time keeping the temps at a stable 95 for my 6 day old ducklings. It's been sitting around 92 mostly. I just checked in on them this morning and it was 87 in there, but no one seemed cold. They were cuddled next to each other but not directly under the light. I've noticed when it is around 95 degrees they don't go anywhere near the heat so I make it a little cooler. Should I just go off of their body language? I do notice my welsh Harliquin is the smallest and seems to like the heat the most. They are about the get a house upgrade tomorrow and I want to keep them in the house another week before they go in the garage which sits at a constant 50-60 degrees, with a heat lamp of course.

Last edited:
Definitely go by their body language.
A mother hen doesn't heat all the ambient air, just a hot spot and the rest is cool. Just give them a warm spot and if they don't crowd under it, they're fine.

Storey's Guide recommends 90F the first week, dropping by 5 degrees a week after that. So you sound fine for ducklings

Have you seen the Raising Ducklings Sticky ?

Storey's Guide recommends 90F the first week, dropping by 5 degrees a week after that.  So you sound fine for ducklings

Have you seen the Raising Ducklings Sticky ?

Thank you for responding, I have read it but can't access it on my phone. Stupid moble version. I just reread my book and you are right. I'm not going to worry about them since they seem to be doing well. I upgraded their brooder too so now they have more room and I'm having an easier time keeping the temps even. It's running 90 during the day and hits about 87 at the coldest at night. My husband turned on a second light this morning when he went to work and it was 95 under the light when I checked on them and they wanted nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom