Brooder to coop? Also, is this a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ash_en_em, Apr 3, 2018.

1. ash_en_em

ash_en_em Songster

Mar 4, 2018
    Lancaster, OH
    I have a few questions. I live in central Ohio, and it is still getting to be quite chilly at night. My flock of 3 Australorps is about 6 weeks old, and in an enclosed run in the garage. They've been off heat lamp for 3ish weeks, and have taken to the MHP very well. Two of my three are very feathered. I think almost completely. The third is what I think is a rooster, and FINALLY has all wing feathers, starting to get pokey tail feathers, and some side of chest feathers.
    Our coldest night this week will be 22°, the warmest at 43°. Coldest day temp at 43°, and the warmest at 63°.

My questions:
    1. Are they feathered enough to go in their coop? If not, how long until you think they will be? Is there anything I can do to put them in there now (we would like the garage space back sooner than later)?

2. Do you think that is a male? If so, do you think having only 2 ladies is ok? Should I separate (if it is a male) him when older?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
    - Ashley

the coop 20180310_151623.jpg

Solo 20180403_115003.jpg 20180403_114926.jpg

Emmy 20180403_114741.jpg 20180403_114652.jpg

Norris (believed to be male)
    20180403_114346.jpg 20180403_114509.jpg 20180403_114426.jpg

2. Windy_Acres

Windy_Acres Songster

Mar 3, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Will the MHP go out to the coop with them? If so, I'd say go for it- I've had 1 week olds out at similar temperatures with the MHP. If not, I'd give them a bit longer, let their heads get feathered, I'd be particularly worried about poor little Norris.

I'm not convinced Norris is a roo yet, but I understand why you're suspicious. I'm pretty sure my australorpe boys had a bigger comb by 6 weeks, though, so there's hope. If he is a boy, your call on what to do- I'd be watching carefully if you might keep him, some Roos might be okay with only 2 hens, but most will be too rough on them, and will need to have alternate arrangements made.

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  3. ash_en_em

ash_en_em Songster

Mar 4, 2018
    Lancaster, OH
    Thank you SO MUCH for responding! I will put the MHP in with them if the extended winter we seem to be having continues. Although, they seem happier sitting on it instead of in it now days no matter how much I raise it up.

I'm hoping Norris isn't a roo, just because I don't want him to be too hard on the others. And segregating him seems sad when he's grown up with them. If he does turn out to be a roo, I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that he's one of the docile ones I've read about on here.

Is it true that you really can't tell until they crow or lay? I'm new to all this, and would prefer to be able to make arrangements sooner than later so I'm not scrambling with a "tough guy" on my hands.

4. MarcieR

MarcieR In the Brooder

Oct 17, 2017
    Central Ohio
    No advice, just commiserating with you on this lousy Central Ohio weather! I have 10 chicks 4 and 5 weeks old and anxious to give them more space. We have a similar coop we modified to a tractor that I want to put them in until we can integrate with our other 7. Thinking of wrapping the run in plastic and a tarp on the open part of the run. Looks like temps will moderate next week, but rain, rain, rain!

ash_en_em likes this.
  5. Windy_Acres

Windy_Acres Songster

Mar 3, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    They do love to be in top of the MHP!! And I know what you mean about extended winter- drove home in a blizzard today. :rant

It's hard to say when you'll know for sure he's a roo- if his comb get much red in it before 15 or so weeks, it's a pretty sure sign. Some keep you guessing, some are obvious at 2 weeks.

ash_en_em likes this.
  6. Gdove419

Gdove419 Chirping

Feb 28, 2018
    I have a 14-15 week old chicken that I'm still not sure about. It kind of looks like a roo, but it hasn't made a peep and I found an extra egg in the coop this week! Yes I know that's too young but I'm a bit uncertain of its true age. The person I got chicks from had so many that he was uncertain of all the hatch dates. So I have two Svarthona chicks of slightly different ages. They are both pretty timid so I don't know if they are just a quiet breed? I put them in the coop at 8 weeks when they were feathered, and they had older birds to sleep with. I also kept a heat lamp on at times to be sure they were warm enough. Probably too much, but wanted to be sure everyone was warm!

ash_en_em likes this.
  7. ash_en_em

ash_en_em Songster

Mar 4, 2018
    Lancaster, OH
    These are my first chickens, so they don't have older ones to huddle up with. Otherwise I wouldn't be too worried about it. I'm going to finish setting up their feeders and what not this weekend, put the heat pad in there, and let them start to get used to it during the day. At night, when the temp is going to hit 21° a couple of nights, I'll probably plop them back in the garage since they aren't 100% feathered.
    I've also heard of some hens laying at 3 months! So it's not totally impossible for yours to lay I guess! Congratulations on the egg!

Gdove419 likes this.
  8. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    One way to tell if a chicken is male or female is to look at the feathers on the neck and saddle (if they are fully feathered). Males feathers will be much longer and pointer and females will be more rounded like flower petals!
    Picture:
    pizap.com10.096822441089898351388868904513.jpg

ash_en_em likes this.
  9. ash_en_em

ash_en_em Songster

Mar 4, 2018
    Lancaster, OH
    Great information! Thank you for sharing this!

10. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    You're welcome! In my last batch of chicks, my favorite one turned out to be a roo! That's how we figured out. He was a really handsome boy though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: