Brooder warm enough or too warm?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3sacrowd, Apr 5, 2011.

1. 3sacrowd

3sacrowd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Hi,

The chicks are sleeping a lot. They are a week old but we just got them today. The brooder is 90 degrees and they are just stretched out under the heat lamp. They have been eating and drinking and pooping but they have quieted down. Am I over worrying?

Thanks!

Kandi

3 kids - 1 fish - 1 Polish (more to come)

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Do they get up and run around at some point as well?

3. 3sacrowd

3sacrowd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Yes but they have been "sleeping" a while. I guess I don't know how long to expect them to sleep.

Kandi

3 kids, 1 fish, 1 Polish (more chicks on the way)

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Chicks will really crash out and sleep, but usually when they notice you are there, they will get up and start peeping and moving around.

5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I don't really remember, but I think they should be pretty active, like running around and eating and sleeping too. But definitely active. Check your temps make sure it isn't too cold that they are stretched out under the light. Make sure you check it down at their level. They are usually more active during the day, maybe you are seeing them more at night? Use a red heat lamp that they are not feeling stressed out by too much light.

6. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Mine are about a week old and sleep a lot too. But like someone else said, when they notice me they jump up and run around and start peeping. They also have periods of a lot of activity and periods of very little activity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by