1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder waste for garden beds?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by gizzyntaz, Nov 4, 2015.

1. gizzyntaz

gizzyntaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2015
    Hi, I'm new to chicken keeping, and only have a few years of gardening experience. I've been tossing my brooder waste (pine shavings based) in the coop (planning to use DLM) but now that the chicks are out there most of the day, I'm thinking about amending my garden beds with the rest of the waste this fall. I won't be planting them until next spring. I know that chicken manure is considered hot, but if a small amount is added to the beds now, should it be okay by spring? Thanks!

2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Absolutely. It will break down over the winter and be safe to plant in the spring.

3. gizzyntaz

gizzyntaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2015
    Thank you!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yep, clean it out in the fall and put it on the garden, plant in the spring. That’s the traditional way to do it.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If it's light on the poop and heavy on the shavings, you may actually have issues with it having low pH, and robbing nitrogen. But if it's real poopy, that's good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by