1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Brooder water ideas? Keeps spilling

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by morgandrew86, May 25, 2018.

1. morgandrew86

morgandrew86 In the Brooder

May 8, 2018
    Reno Nv
    ive been using the regular waterer you buy from the feed store. You put water in it and it and turn it upside down to have the water slowly feed into it. It’s been great but now my 3 week old chicks want to knock it over and get their brooder wet. Anyone have some unique ideas for water containers in the brooder?

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

Rubber livestock bowl..They won't tip that..Plus they won't drown...Works great..

3. Doc7

Doc7 Chirping

May 12, 2018
    Central Virginia
    I built a vertical nipple water for basically 20 cents (2 dollars for a ten pack on amazon and container from the fridge).

See photo.

BE7A1669-1BB6-4601-8283-21527FAD689B.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    You could try a hanging one, I built a pvc pipe water with the nipples. Before that I used the rubber bowl like chickens really stated

5. Athena2344

Athena2344 Songster

Aug 7, 2016
    San Antonio, Tx
    Or you can take a plastic juice container or milk carton and cut a hole big enough for them to get their heads into on the side of it

morgandrew86 likes this.
  6. GeneGoddess

GeneGoddess Songster 8 Years

Sep 1, 2009
    Maryland
  7. chickens really

Hello..The only problems Chicks/Chickens get bored with that so won't consume enough water that they require..

8. GeneGoddess

Sep 1, 2009
    Maryland
    Any particular reason they would get bored of the rabbit waterer as opposed to horizontal or vertical nipples? I have both a saucer version like OP and the rabbit waterer and they seem to prefer the latter by far.

9. chickens really

Sorry didn't mean to upset you but Chicks need more water than that can provide..They drink and move on.

10. GeneGoddess

Sep 1, 2009
    Maryland
    Not upset at all. Just a bit confused. I’ve got a dozen 2.5 week olds going through a smidge less than a quart of water a day plus whatever they want from the saucer style (and it’s rare they use it). Storey quotes something like a gallon daily per 100 chicks, and mine are getting that and more. They hold the internal ball up and water flows easily. Very similar to a vertical nipple style. Water stays clean, chicks seem to prefer it and are growing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: